CleanStart Connect 2013
Innovations in decentralized energy present unprecedented opportunities for businesses to serve the 'last mile' of the energy market. There is significant potential for market growth, but much more could be done to catalyze commercially viable businesses that offer value to low-income customers. How can we make this work and take the market to the next level?
Hosted by UNCDF, the inaugural CleanStart Connect event took place in Bangkok, Thailand, on 25-26 November 2013 and brought together people, ideas and opportunities that are co-creating an energy market for the under-served segment. The event focused on the role of finance in building an ecosystem for energy businesses to reach scale and impact. It considered the following themes:
- End-user financing through loans and pay-as-you-go schemes;
- Start-up/working capital for small-scale manufacturers/distributors; and
- Financing growth of business models from "blueprint to scale"
CleanStart Connect 2013 attracted leading energy and financial service providers, investors, policy makers and development partners that are building an inclusive energy market in Asia and Africa to find answers to:
- What greater financing choices can be offered to low-income customers?
- What is needed to unleash financing throughout the energy supply chain?
- How can different stakeholders be incentivized to make the ecosystem work?
- What partnerships are expanding the market, and how can more be brokered and supported?
- What ideas would benefit from further pilot testing or research?
The event was supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation, Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency and UNCDF.
For more information, please contact:
Hee Sung Kim (Ms.)
Programme and Knowledge Management Analyst