WHAT: Event: “Financing Access to Clean Energy for the Poor”
- Deependra Bahadur Kshetry, Vice Chair, National Planning Commission, Nepal (TBC).
- Gopal Prasad Kaphle, Deputy Governor, Nepal Rastra Bank (TBC).
- Govind Raj Pokharel, Executive Director, Alternative Energy Promotion Centre, Nepal.
- Ashoke SJB Rana, CEO, Himalayan Bank Ltd., Nepal.
- Bibek Chapagain, Energy Adviser, Royal Norwegian Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Vijaya Singh, Assistant Country Director, UNDP Nepal.
- Ana Klincic Andrews, Chief Technical Advisor, UNCDF Nepal.
- Moderator: Robert Piper, UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Nepal.
Thanks to recent technological developments, there is now a real possibility to enable universal access to clean energy solutions by promoting innovative approaches that combine the development of clean energy value chains and appropriate financing for those presently excluded from energy access.
The main objective of the event is to engage with key actors in the public and private arena to discuss how Rio+20 commitments to ensuring sustainable modern services for all can be translated into concrete actions and how on-going and emerging initiatives of various actors around the table can be leveraged. Participants of this session are senior officials from Government and International Organizations with the mandate and authority to make concrete commitments. The findings of the session will be incorporated into major initiatives of clean energy finance by UNDP and UNCDF and other Development Partners. These commitments will provide a tangible contribution to the development process in Nepal.