WHAT: In the context of the UN Sustainable Development Summit 2015, United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), the Government of Uganda and the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) cordially invite you to a side event on the topic: No Transformation Without Localization: The role of local governments in the effective implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The side event has three main objectives:
- To identify innovative models which can strengthen the capacity, governance, service delivery, and financial ability of local governments to meet the SDGs.
- To discuss possible ways to make those models available to local government authorities in secondary cities, peri-urban and rural areas, especially in the Least Developed Countries.
- To launch UNCDF’s initiative on Municipal Finance, which will contributed to addressing these challenges.
The side event will offer the opportunity to explore some of the following questions:
- What sort of capacities do local governments need to achieve the SDGs? How can these be developed? What are the specific challenges faced by local governments in secondary cities, peri-urban and rural areas? How can these be overcome?
- How can ‘localization’ contribute to ensuring a broader ownership of the SDGs, promoting a more inclusive and sustainable development process rooted in the real needs of the people and territories?
- What roles should national and sub-national governments, civil society and the private sector play in implementing and monitoring the SDGs, ensuring strengthened accountability? How can we ensure disaggregated data for this purpose?
- How can a territorial approach to development planning be promoted that integrates the different dimensions of sustainable development (economic, social, and environmental) and that also considers urban-rural linkages?
- What are the primary barriers to mobilizing resources for investment in basic services and resilient infrastructure, particularly in more vulnerable communities and territories? How can these barriers be overcome?
- What financing models and mechanisms exist for local government authorities to raise the resources needed, including from domestic resources, to help them deliver on the SDGs? How can these models be tailored to different contexts?
WHEN: Saturday 26 September, 09:30 to 11:30
WHERE: Hyatt Hotel, Room Gallery 1, 109 E. 42nd Street, New York
- Ms. Judith Karl, Executive Secretary of UNCDF
- Mr. Khalifa Sall, Mayor of Dakar
Panel speakers include:
- Mr. Adolf Mwesige, Minister of Local Government of Uganda
- Ms. Célestine Ketcha Courtes, Mayor of Bagante, Cameroon
- Mr. Gustavo Petro, Mayor of Bogotá
- Mr. Mpho Moruakgomo President of Botswana Association of Local Authorities, Vice-President of UCLG, Bureau Member of CLGF
- Ms. Michèle Sabban Councilor of the Île-de-France region, France President of FMDV, and President of R20
- Prof. Robert P. Inman, Professor of Business Economics & Public Policy, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- Mr. Philippe Orliange, Director for Strategy, Partnerships, and Communication, AFD
Moderated by: Mr. David Jackson, Local Development Finance, Practice Director, UNCDF
- Mr. Carl Wright, Secretary General of CLGF
- Mr. Jean Pierre Mbassi, Secretary General of UCLGA (tbc)
To participate in the event, please register with firstname.lastname@example.org/ +1 (212) 906 5381