The United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) is the UN’s impact investment agency. Unique in the UN system, UNCDF can deploy a spectrum of financing solutions (grants, loans, and guarantees) and technical assistance to businesses that have a positive impact on achieving Sustainable Development Goals .
UNCDF is inviting expressions of interest from organizations that are seeking loan or guarantee funding to finance their working capital or expansion goals in the Pacific Region. UNCDF will use the information from the Expression of Interest (EOI) to create deal flow for direct financing through two funding instruments, the Bridge Facility and Build Fund. UNCDF will especially look for opportunities where UNCDF’s financing can help the business unlock financing from banks and investors.
Additionally, the Call for EOI will help UNCDF and UNDP to:
- Landscape the current financing need for SDG-positive businesses that have development impact in the areas listed below.
- Understand how the UN and business development organizations can assist sustainable businesses in the Pacific to access capital. Support in this area can include investment readiness support through grant financing and technical assistance, liaising with the Government, and exposure to investors.
Organizations that submit an expression of interest must have a revenue-generating business model, and the business model must also have environmental and/or social impact in one of the areas listed below:
- Food Security and Nutrition
- Energy Access
- Financial Inclusion
- Inclusive Digital Economy
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Climate Disaster Risk Financing and Insurance
UNCDF has two funding instruments:
- Concessional loan and guarantees (BRIDGE Facility), on UNCDF’s own balance sheet – loan and guarantee investments in the range between USD 100,000 and USD 1,000,000, available in hard and local currency. Loan is offered on concessional terms including interest rate, tenor and collateral requirements.
- Commercial loan (BUILD Fund), on a third-party investor’s balance sheet – loans between USD 250,000 and USD 2,500,000, available in hard and local currency.
For more information on the BRIDGE Facility and BUILD Fund, please visit:
This is an open-ended call for expression of interest, with recurring quarterly deadlines. The first Call for Expression of Interest closes 23:59 PM Fiji Time on 28 February, 2023 (Tuesday).
The subsequent quarterly deadlines are as follows:
- Second application deadline: 31 May, 2023 (Wednesday)
- Third application deadline: 31 Aug, 2023 (Thursday)
- Third application deadline: 30 November, 2023 (Thursday)
How to apply:
- Read through this document, particularly sections on UNCDF’s Scope of Investment and Investment Process.
- Submit your Expression of Interest online through the UNCDF’s online application form
- Apply online by the first application deadline 23:59 PM Fiji Time on 28 February, 2023 (Tuesday).
Inquiries regarding this Call may be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Companies can be registered anywhere, but must be operational in the following countries: Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Timor-Leste