One of the fundamental transversal themes of the PA3D programme in Benin is related to the effort consented to the reduction of the disparities between men and women and women's access to productive activities that are likely to reduce their vulnerability and their food insecurity.
Thus, at the end of the programme:
- Women have been actively involved in all of the activities promoted by PA3D;
- Taking into account gender, the programme has been created with the analysis of the feminization of poverty in Benin;
- Introducing the budgeting by gender to give impulse to the investment towards the marginalized categories;
- A percentage of the funding was also granted for investment in favor of gender;
- Setting up in each municipality a specific consultation framework on gender that integrates actors such as the executives of the municipality and the CPS, the representatives of the feminine groups;
- Providing trainings, campaigns and activities, such as the promotion of women leaders, the awareness of the elected representatives, radio programmes and campaigns on nutritional hygiene, scholarship, the monitoring of the projects of the women's groups in the municipality or the setting up of events for the International Women's Day (IWD), have been organized.
One step further towards Women’s empowerment
In order for the participation of women in the decision-making levels to occur, awareness actions have been made in all the municipalities of the area of intervention of the PA3D. The women leaders have first been identified then presented to the public in each district.
Furthermore, advocacy has taken place so that women are more represented in the committees of the management of municipal infrastructure. Thus, in total, 20 committees have been implemented in all the municipalities. 48, 52 percent of the office positions are secured by women against 51, 58 percent by men on average.